How long does the battery last?
This is probably the most frequently asked question we have ever heard about Ben E-bikes.
And at the same time it is the question that is most difficult to answer.
Because the battery life depends on so many factors that it is simply impossible to make a universally valid statement.
The following factors significantly influence the range:
Weight of the rider – the difference between a 4 and 7 stone makes a big difference.
Which level of support is chosen? If your child uses only Level 1, then the 175 Wh battery can easily cover a distance of 35 to 45 miles. However, pedalling mainly with the assistance levels up at 3 – 5, you wouldn’t be surprised if the low battery display flashes after 15 to 20 miles of riding.
Also the terrain profile has a big impact – the steeper the climbs, the faster the battery empties. Of course, this is also due to the fact that a stronger support level is usually chosen while going up hill, but at level 3 on the flat the motor still needs less energy than on gradients of 5 – 10%.
The ambient temperature of the battery always comes into play – in cold conditions, the battery performance is noticeably reduced.
With all that in mind we tend to be sceptical about claims which are common with adult bikes, of ranges up to 90 miles or more.
When designing and specifying the range of Ben-e-Bikes, we asked, how much battery capacity does a children’s e-bike need? The fact that our competitors rely on heavy versions with 400 Wh shows that they simply grasp the shelves of existing components. What should be sufficient for adults with about 100 kg system weight (driver and bike) for 60 – 150 km range, would have to be enough for children’s e-bikes for at least twice the range. Does that really make sense?
Our experience shows that in most cases our 175 Wh battery provides more than enough capacity for long day trips. But the battery weighs only 970 g and not 2.5 -3.0 kg as in the competition! Anyone who still has concerns about the range, we offer two options:
- If you are concerned about ending up out on the trail with an empty battery, we recommend the “Twin Power Option” as an ideal solution. You buy the Ben e-bike with a second battery and double your range. With a weight of just 970 g and compact dimensions (200 mm length, 63 mm diameter), the additional battery is easily transported in a parent’s backpack.
- A larger version with 250 Wh capacity (additional weight 360 g).
Battery Technical Data:
- 175 Wh capacity (optional 250 Wh) with the latest Panasonic NCR18650GA cells
- Range 25 – 40 miles with 35 kg rider weight
- Smart Balancing BMS with protection against short circuit / over-current, reverse polarity, over-voltage, over-discharge and over-temperature
- Charge state display via LEDs, exact display in 0.1V increments via the LC display
- Integrated interface for reading all charging cycles in case of service
- Extremely robust aluminium housing
- Battery tested according to UN38.3 (prerequisite standard for aircraft shipping)
- Minimum weight 970 g (1,330 g for 250 Wh variant)
- Charging time 3h; Battery does not need to be removed for charging
- Charger included, dimensions 170 x 70 x 40 mm, weight incl. Power cable – 485 g